The Lord Chief Justice’s Report 2014 is now available online.
In relation to costs specifically, the report refers to the following:
- The cost to the client of instructing and more importantly retaining lawyers;
- The level at which court fees are set;
- The disproportionate cost of dispute resolution litigation compared to the amount in dispute itself;
- The ever increasing cost of litigation despite increased competition;
- The rise of litigants in person and their incompatibility with the current legal system and the impact this is having;
- The steps already taken to provide litigants in person with help from the Citizens Advice Bureau and the Personal Support Unit and the anticipated continuation and development of the same.
As for what 2015 holds, let’s wait and see……